In 1960, California adopted the Lanterman Act that established the responsibility of all citizens to provide financial resources to help people with disabilities achieve their full potential. OPARC responded by expanding a variety of programs for people with Down Syndrome, epilepsy, autism, cerebral palsy, and mental retardation.
Today, OPARC serves more than 700 adults in a wide variety of programs, including academic instruction, speech pathology classes to enhance communication skills, community access, behavior management, on-site assistance with the activities of daily living, and the opportunity to engage in paid and volunteer work. More than half of OPARC’s clients hold full-time or part-time jobs, enhancing the productivity of the Inland Empire economic community and increasing the self-esteem of the workers.
Developmental and vocational disabilities significantly affect the ability of people to care for themselves and earn a living wage. Many individuals with disabilities have impaired motor functions, and most have extremely limited ability to express themselves verbally.
OPARC clients are enrolled for daytime programming hours, Monday through Friday. The agency has grown at an average annual rate of 8% since 1995. An additional program is scheduled to begin in late 2010. OPARC’s programs are accredited by the Rehabilitation Accreditation Commission and are routinely rated as exceptional by oversight agencies like Inland Regional Center and Community Care Licensing.
OPARC’s annual budget is approximately $10,000,000, of which only 12% is used for administrative and fund development activities. The remaining 88% provides direct services to clients. OPARC is governed by a locally-based board of directors consisting of parents of clients, business owners, educators, and other professionals.
For additional information or to arrange a site visit, please call Andrea Erickson, President/CEO, at (909) 985-3116, ext. 125, or use the “Contact Us” feature in this website.
The Department of Developmental Services (State of California) website is located at: www.dds.ca.gov/complaints.
The Department of Developmental Services can be reached by phone at: 916-654-1987.